Thursday, January 10, 2008

My litle Cheerleader

Okay.... so my post yesterday seemed to strike a nerve. I really didn't mean to come off rude or unapproving. If I really hated it all that bad I would not have signed her up for it in the first place. I am just....ummm confused no scratch that... Learning is the better word. I hope that I did not offend some friends of mine. I did mention that two of my friends were totally involved in these sports throughout high school. I really do acknowledge that it is a sport and one that I was never good at. Here is the problem we tried gymnastics early on with Haley and she decided she would rather NOT do that anymore ( she is not the most coordinated child, bless her heart) She tried dance as well and got fed up with that as well. I know that she is still young and not sure really what she wants which is why we are so willing to let her try all sorts of new things to help her find "Her Thing". We really do want her to be involved in some sort of sport or physical activity to help with the coordination issue. But it doesn't change the fact that I am nervous of her being around cheerleaders. I do not know why this is but some little girls (big girls too) have come to see this title as somewhat of a social status that entitles them to be mean to other kids (not just girls) I will DEFINITELY teach Haley that this is in NO WAY shape or form acceptable, but my fear is monkey see monkey do. Haley already mimics what she thinks "COOL" big kids do and say and I am constantly telling her this is not acceptable behavior. So you see this really has nothing to do with cheer leading per say, but more about the influences she will be around I feel completely petrified about failing my daughters and letting them turn out to be "Mean Girls" I feel with every passing year I am loosing my influence that mommies have on their little kids and and acquiring more annoyed looks at moms annoying talks! I know this is all part of letting your kids grow up but give me a little bit of slack! She is my first baby and also my most stubborn....(ummmm... well maybe) most of the time she acts like she is 16 and not 6. I am just nervous I am not doing a good job teaching her how to be nice!

Now that I am done explaining I will let you know Haley LOVED! LOVED! LOVED! her class. there is only 2 little girls in the class for some reason and Haley thinks this is even better! One on one cheer leading attention! What could be better. So it looks like for the next little while she will be "into" this activity and this will be my Wednesday evenings.

Notice the little one in back absorbing everything... she was even

trying to do the moves herself

This week has been a long one. Not only did I teach preschool, but Dylan is also in swim class this week as well as next. This definitely is "his thing" he loves it! So once again mom is obligate to schlep all 3 kids out in the snow to watch Dylan go swimming. Last night we did swimming and cheer leading both at the same time. That was interesting!

This kid has NO fear of the water (This is exactly what prompetd the need for lessons)

So you see... I do understand that it is all about individual preferences I just hope and pray that I might not screw it up too badly for either one of them. I am sure in the future Dylan will come home and want to do something that scares me just as bad as Haley and the cheer leading! Like Football or something..... ackkkkkk my little guy would get smashed for sure! See : ) it is not all one sided around here. Moms crazy paranoia's are not gender based!

3 comments:

Kati said...

Oh...I certainly hope you don't think I was offended in any way, shape or form. I wasn't trying to say you weren't a bad mom...I didn't mean you weren't teaching Haley to be nice...I was just speaking about mothering in general...it doesn't matter what activities are kids are in...we all need to teach them the life skill of being nice to everyone. I'm sorry if it came off in a different way...I think you are a WONDERFUL mommy...and your kids are adorable little monkeys. I love them all. I thought in your post, you were asking for advice and seeking some kind of comfort with Haley's desires....sorry if you weren't. I wasn't upset with your post at all...I thought it was very very cute. I am soooooo glad she loved the class! When you love something...that is when you get really good at it, because you want to practice. She is a cute girl. And...I think you are doing a great job at teaching her to be nice. She will act the way her mom does...by example...and you are one of the kindest people I know.

Love ya!
Kati

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Do you think Dylan's ear infection could have something to do with his swimming? Try a little mineral oil in his ear before he swims or some alcohol after he gets out. Keep trying to find something Haley likes. She will do fine. Melissa and Sabrina were both cheerleaders. They are not too damaged. Love, Mom

Crazycozartclan said...

Unfortunately it is Avery not Dylan with the fever this week. Dylan never really had any ear problems. When he says his Ear hurts it's becuase of strep throat evertime. Go figure huh! Love ya! Thanks for the tips!