Monday, April 14, 2008

A Trip to the Dentist

Bad mom confession coming up......


Okay..... Okay..... I am aware that most children visit the dentist sometime before they are 61/2. Nope not mine. Today was a momentous occasion I took all 3 kids to the dentist. This is a stretch for me. I don't ever want to go there myself let alone take 3 of them kicking and screaming too. I (luckily... I think) have a sister that is a dental Hygienist and my mother-in-law is a dental asst. So we usually have a lot "teeth talk" around our family functions. To add to this they are always looking around in the kids mouth. When you start to hear Uh-oh from both of them you figure it's time. So.... I DID IT ....I made the apt. fought the urge to cancel the night before and actually took them it ( I am literally patting myself on the back right now) Guess what!!! It was SOOOoooooo fabulous. The kids already knew the dentist.... he is in our ward and coached Haley's soccer team. His office is AMAZING! Since he is a pediatric dentist everyone in the office staff was so great to the kids! Totally a good experience. Sadly to say.... Haley did have 3 cavities one which requires a baby root canal, cap and THANKFULLY sedation to knock her crazy butt out : ) At least she doesn't hate the dentist yet! Dylan did much better NO cavities I am so proud of him ( we told him about the sugar bugs and he took that to heart!) The baby was having none of it so we just left her alone. She way eyeing up the dentist and I KNOW she would have bit him if she had the chance.

After the dentist we headed to the store to get a little prize for such a successful (and totally dreaded) Dental Apt. The kids were picking out toys and Haley decided to forgo her toy and instead get the swimming baby she's been saving up for months to get. I told her she would finally have enough with the money we would have spent on the toy today. The problem I am having is actually taking all her money now that we are at home. I know it's a great lesson and I explained she would have to give me ALL of it once we got home but I feel so GUILTY. I am really proud of her for not giving up and saving every little penny to get this 35 dollar baby. She is so excited to have it before the trip to Cali so she can use it in the pool. Tell me you all would have done the same thing and actually taken her money away. Am I being a good mom for taking it or a bad mom for taking it. ?????? Hmmmm...... the joys of motherhood

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I feel your pain with the dentist and baby root canal. Ellie is in the middle of her appointments.

You are nicer than me with the treats after the dentist. I usually get them a yummy lunch at McDonalds or Artic Circle. The thing is I would probably get lunch anyway but they think it is a treat. :)

It would be hard bit it is goo that you took the money, otherwise the lesson is not taught.

ThE fRoNkS!... said...

you, my dear, are a very good mom. I am with you when it comes to the dentist. it is hard for me not to cancel. I have done this once before-i must confess.
As for the whole money thing. We do that at our house. i think it is important to teach them about money and how it works. How we should pay our tithing and save some too. So-if you have accounts set up for your kids-put it in there-if you don't set up one-i had to fork up the 25 to open it-so maybe you could do that.
but,if you are having a really annoying day with your children like i am-go ahead, take it and buy yourself fome new stuff for you-your kids can always save more. ha-can you tell i really love my kids right now?

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Aluguel de Computadores, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://aluguel-de-computadores.blogspot.com. A hug.

jenn said...

Did you ever hear about that study where something like 4 out of 5 people would rather get a root canal than buy a new car? He, he...at least you weren't out buying a new car today with all three kiddos. =)

Just kidding, I'm with you on the dentist. It's stressful and so dang expensive. That's what gets me!

As far as the money goes it is worth taking it from her to teach her the lesson, as hard as that is. Plus, she'll appreciate the doll more knowing that she worked and saved so hard for it! Good mom, you are.

Kati said...

You are such a bad mom.

NOT!

I DREAD the dentist. I actually have been really good with taking the kids every 6 months since they were 18 months old. Me however? I haven't been for such a long time. I don't want my kids to have awful teeth like me. I take better care of their teeth than my own. I have got to make a dentist appointment THIS WEEK!

As for the money issue. I so hear you. I just CAN'T take money from my kids. I know it is the best thing for them, but it is so hard when they have saved up for so long. I guess that is why kids are so unappreciative now...you are a great mom. Haley will take such good care of that doll.

What I have started doing is taking their money and secretly putting it away for them. They think they have paid for it, and I have a nice little savings for them when they are older. I do this with their birthday money from grandparents. I gotta put money away for them anyway...so this has seemed to work out well.