Saturday, October 27, 2007

You want me to do what???

Okay so yesterday, I was outside and a police officer walked up to me and says " is this your house?" I say yes. He then proceeds to tell me that I need to evacuate! "Excuse me..... what did you say? I guess 2 houses down there was a house that had a gas leak and had "explosive levels of gas inside" He then said, if it blows you house might sustain some damage from the blast, but the main concern was that we were on the same gas line as that house, and if for some reason we had gas that had seeped in and settled in our house it could blow ours too. I told the police officer I just put 2 kids down for naps should I run and wake them up and get them out? He said well it's not mandatory but we are advising it. He said that we were the last person on the street that they were evacuating, and uphill as well so we should be fine, but if it were his family he would leave. So I ran inside to call Michael and tell him what had happened when he pulled into the driveway, he had decided to come home and work that day. So after discussing it and wondering what to do ( for a while we thought we were just going to wait it out) I started to feel a little "weird" headache, chest heavy, my throat hurt. You know it could have just been my imagination playing tricks on me but that was the last straw. The kids were up and out of their beds, and packed in the car in under 5 minutes! The only problem with this whole scenario was my husband decided he had WAY too much work to do. He was sure that he would be fine, but thought it was a really good idea that we left. Needless to say I was a little.... ummm let's just say annoyed! So if we ever really do have a hazardous emergency let's hope that he doesn't have a lot of work to do or I may end up being a single mother! 3-4 hours later we were told that it was safe to come home. So I guess Michael was right everything was fine. It's just so hard to take that chance when you have such precious cargo that has been entrusted to you.

It was a really interesting thing to experience deciding to get out right then, I looked around and wondered if I really could not ever come back to the house or if it BLEW UP what would I take with me? The funny thing was... as sad as I would be to lose our house and all the possessions inside none of it really mattered to me. Honestly, I stood in my room and thought about this for a couple of seconds and decided that my wedding ring ( which I had forgotten to put on that morning) The kids,(preferably my husband too) warm clothes, and few diapers, and their blankets were all I needed! It really did make me realize how blessed I am! I thought later about the pioneers, Katrina victims, and now the people in Cal. losing their houses and wondered if everyone could say those few things would be all they need to be happy in this world. I truly am thankful for all the things I have, but it takes a day like yesterday to make you realize what is really important!

No comments: