Friday, November 7, 2008

Pie Pumpkin.... What's a Pie Pumpkin?

So I had a hard time finding little pumpkins for the party last week ( ones that were small enough for "little hands" When I finally did find them I was WAY excited (the fact that they were 29 cents a lb was even better) So I loaded my cart up with 20 of them and headed to the check stand. It was then that the cashier told me these were "pie pumpkins" not regular pumpkins. (apparently.... these are "special" and cost more! WHATEVER!) I had to have them .... so off I went! Now that the party is over and about 1/3 of the kids forgot there pumpkins I am stuck with all of these extras. Haley has been begging for me to make a pie with her. Okay..... I think I may have made like..... 1 pie in my whole life and that was under close supervision of someone else. I am feeling guilty that I have all of these pumpkins laying around waiting to be turned into a delicious pie, and the only thing holding them back is my complete and total lack of skills. Does anybody out there know how to do this with a real pumpkin. Not just the can stuff? Don't worry I have lots to practice with ...so I might end up with a decent product. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

5 comments:

Kati said...

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2008/10/make-your-own-pumpkin-puree/

Unknown said...

Nope but I bet kati's link will be an awesome recipe :) Good Luck and let us know how easy/hard it is to make!

Tausha said...

Ok-this should be good! Pleas post pics of the whole experience.
Ps-Yes, I am making fun of you.
NO, I have no pointers, I go to the store and buy canned pumpkin.
Third-Pioneer womans recipes are the bomb! Made a few and they really are delish!!
Good luck! Just buy lots of whip cream to cover up the taste :)

Susie said...

Now I'll have to get your receipe for some scrum-didili-umptious pumkin choco chip cookies.

jenn said...

You are so funny. I am totally laughing at this post because recently I was ridden with guilt because I had a perfectly good, HUGE zuchinni from my garden which sat on my counter for two weeks calling for me to bake bread with it. My lack of domestic skills interfered with me as well until I finally threw it away because I couldn't stand looking at it any longer and feeling so guilty! SO glad I'm not the only one.

Hopefully you had a better outcome than I did!