Sunday, April 26, 2009

Baby sitting co-op

So I was blog surfing for the first time in quite a while today and I came across something interesting on a friends blog. She was talking about a baby sitting co-op that she's part of. I've been wanting to do something like this for quite a long time but neverreally knew how to go about it. After reading about how well it works out I am ready to start one up. I asked her to email me all the info about it.

Her co-op works by people using tickets. You set a designated time that you will be at your house on a certain day (hers was 9-12 of Friday's). Every girl has a different time slot. Anyone can call and bring the kids over during that time as long as they have tickets to pay. Each hour earns you one ticket per child. Then all the tickets you earn are yours to use how and when you want to. The more kids you watch during your set time the more tickets you get. Shopping, Dr. Apt, a nap, girls day out. etc. etc.

You just need 4-5 people to start out with (but the more people you have the better!). You also give everyone a bunch of tickets and set up every one's time they want to commit to. What do you think? Any of you interested in something like this? I would be happy to start it up and get all the rules going if there are some of you out there who would like to do it. I know that this would be something really great for me. So what do you say? Anyone interested?

4 comments:

Stacie said...

I think that would be a great idea....except I don't have any kids. I just have kitties...does it still work for kitty sitting? Hahaha just kidding :)

Sarah said...

Karen - why in the heck is no one taking you up on this amazing offer? Maybe they aren't understanding the joys of co-op. Here's a brief sample: today I went to Costco with just my sweet little baby. She can't whine and ask for stuff, she doesn't run away from me and try to get more free samples, and she is unable to grab my treat that I bought for myself at the foodcourt. I bought tons of food, filling the cart to the top. There wouldn't have even been room for more kids! Then, baby Evie fell asleep in the van during the drive home. She's an angel. I had plenty of time to unload $200 worth of food, putting the milk and frozen items away in peace. No one was begging me to open the strawberries and give them just one, no one was running into the road, and no one was "helping" by dropping the eggs. Only when I had finished completely did I go and pick up my kids. They had a great time playing with their friends and talked about all of the fun they'd had. My friend was paid handsomely in tickets (and I picked some chicken nuggets up for her at Costco). Win/win/win situation, if you ask me!

Susie said...

I'll just reiterate...I thought I was your co-op?

Tausha said...

I would so do this-too bad that you live just a little too far away. I am thinking that I am going to bring this up for some moms in the neighborhood. Perfect idea for summer! Thanks for the info. BTW-how did your boutique go?