Friday, May 8, 2009

Happy Mother's Day

I am a spoiled girl! I admit this.... openly and freely. I need to give my husband props, I know I have said this before, but he is the BEST gift giver EVER! This is what he gave me this year for Mother's Day.


It's a Kindle 2. You may or may not have heard about these. I LOVE to read. I buy a book a week, usually, and I am literally depressed when I don't have one to read.

So I've been researching (I'm a little crazy about researching things) for quite a while about these little guys. There are different brands and price ranges for these digital readers. The Kindle however seems to be the COOLEST one by far. (Of course it's also more expensive too) I mentioned this a while back to the hubby that I wished I had one. Guess what came in the mail today just in time for Mother's day. Needless to say I giggled like a girl and jumped up and down. (All of this was extremely funny to the neighbor and the UPS man)

Okay... enough blabbing. Here's what it does.

Holds e books (up to 1500 of them)
Instantly downloads them via the wi-fi for those of us with no patience.
Reads like a normal book REALLY it does. It's not like a computer screen. It has something to do with electronic ink.... Way too hi-tech for me to explain. Just REALLY REALLY cool.
Plus plenty of other cool things!


I've only had it for about 45 min and I already know how to use it, and I have a new book and I've finished the first chapter of my new book! YEA!

THANKS BABE!

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Karen, I've heard lots and lots about the Kindle 2 (a big improvement over the original) but does it feel like a book? Can you read it in the sunshine? How does it feel in your hands? When you buy books on-line, do you have a copy in an account in addition to your Kindle, in case it gets dropped or something? I love the idea that heavy books would no longer be heavy when read on a Kindle 2 (I'm plowing through Don Quixote and it's a big book to carry around). Sorry I've got so many questions - I've been following Kindle 2 for a while, but never actually seen one in person.

Jessica said...

Cool! Happy Mother's Day- yes Mike, you win yet another prize.
I have never heard of this gadget- only a palm pilot. Looks pretty sizeable. Ebooks rock. I actually appreciate the audible books to download to the ipod. I seem to get more done that way.

It will be fun to learn more as you get savvy with it. Enjoy!

Tausha said...

only sarah would read Don Quixote for fun. Heck, I didn't even know how to spell it until I saw hers.
I am impressed with Michael. Very impressed. Does he know that it is required of him to out do himself every year. So, next year, what is it going to be... Maybe a new car? Tell him I am expecting him to give you only the best!!

Tamera said...

You are so lucky! How much do the books cost to down load? Are they cheeper then buying a reg. book? It sounds really nice. Glad you had a nice Mother's Day. Love you guys. Miss you even more!

jenn said...

That sounds so cool {I've never even heard of it}! What a great gift. Two thumbs up, Mike.

I definitely need to hook up with you. I'm always looking for a good book to read but have a hard time knowing where to start. Any suggestions? :)

Glad you had an excellent Mother's Day!